Sunday, May 4, 2008

19 yr. old Cambodian American female


Q: What different cities, states, and/or countries have you lived in?

A: Lebanon, Pennslyvania; Concord, CA; Antioch, CA.

Q: Which do you consider your hometown (‘the place you most consider home’):

A: Concord
Q: What language do your parents speak at home? What is their predominant language on an everyday basis?

A: My parents speak Cambodian. I speak English most of the time.
Above: Participant's parents and her younger sister
Below: Participant, her fiancee, fiancee's niece and her younger sister
Q: Have your parents ever expressed career expectations for you? What were those expectations?

A: Yes! My parents want me to be a nurse. Just because my Dad works at John Muir he feels the medical field best suits my life. I do not agree.

Q: How does society see your ethnic group?

A: Society looks at us as if we do not exist. Many have no idea where Cambodia is.

Q: How do you define and/or see your ethnic group?

A: I define our ethnic group as hard workers.

Q: How do you define and/or see your American identity?

A: I personally do not see my American identity. I believe I look and feel like an Asian and others look at me that way also.

Q: What is your educational status?

A: GED

Q: How do you define success in general?

A: Doing what you love and not what your parents want you to pursue.

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are of your ethnic group? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?

A: 1

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are Asian? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?

A: 2

Q: Have you visited the country of your ethnic origin?

A: No

Q: How knowledgeable are you about the history of the country?

A: Not at all.

Everyday life and what is most important to me: My family and work are important to me.
* Left: Participant as a child with her father the owner of a donut shop
* Right: Participant's grandmother; Below: relative who fought in Cambodian army

No comments: