Sunday, May 4, 2008

23 yr. old Chinese American female (via Vietnam)

Q: How do other people see your ethnic group?

A: As immigrants, don’t speak Chinese, yellow skin and some view ethnic Chinese who no longer practice any Chinese traditions like myself. Usually, people see Chinese culture as gathering together, social and talk loud. What does being Chinese mean to me? Well, it depends where you live. For San Francisco, it means being diverse. Being a minority race, having a unique culture, and living up to certain stereotypes.

Q: How do you define your 'American-ness'?
A: Becoming a U.S. citizen

Q: What do you like to do, what do you love?

A: I love to travel around the world, my favorite thing is shopping – I love fashion. I love all types of water rides, I love movies and I love to eat pasta – Italian food.

Q: Were you born in the U.S.? If not, where were you born?

A: Vietnam

Q: Where do you consider your hometown?

A: Eugene, Oregon

Q: Involvement in clubs or organizations (ethnic or non-ethnic apply):

A: Never involved in clubs/organizations

Q: What gives purpose to your life?

A: To fulfill my dream to get a BA, travel around the world.


Q: What relationships have been of major significance to you?

A: When my dad died in the refugee camp.


Q: What is the racial and ethnic background of your closest friends?

A: American, Chinese. My sister-in-law is American.


Q: When and how did you become aware of concepts of your race and/or ethnicity?
A: I become aware when I go to high school.


Q: How were you treated?

A: Bad in high school, I was bullied a lot. College- good.

Q: What languages do you speak?

A: Chinese. Chinese with my mother, I don’t have a dad and I speak English only with my siblings.


Q: Do you feel like your parents' expectations of gender roles are ‘traditional’?

A: No, my mother and my siblings are very outgoing and modern. Not traditional at all. My mother is very supportive , she never forces us and told us what she wants us to be in terms of a career. Whatever is best for us and makes us happy. She is fine with that.

Q: What were their expectations?

A: None. Be a good person.


Q: Have you ever dated outside of your ethnicity?

A: Not yet, I would like to date Hispanic or Philipino.


Q: Would your parents accept them?

A: Of course, my sister in law is Caucasian, Mom loves it. She thinks her mixed blood grandkid will be very pretty.

Q: What is your educational status?

A: I am working to get a BA in Psychology.

Q: How do you define academic success?

A: 3.8 GPA, finish college.

Q: How do you define success in general?

A: Have a good job and steady income.

Q: Throughout your time in school, how often did you encounter people who assumed you were smart because you were Asian?

A: In math class, Americans think Asians are usually good in math. Especially when you do very well in math, your classmate thinks that you are smart.

Q: Have you visited the country or countries of your ethnic origin/s?

A: I visited China couple years ago, and Thailand too.

Q: How knowledgeable are you about the history of the country or countries?
A: Not knowledgeable because I left my country when I was a baby.

Q: Please list at least 3 feelings you had while visiting.

A: I feel weird the first time visit to China because I never see so many Chinese people – same thing when I first moved to San Francisco. I always surrounded by American people in Eugene so I have to say that I was little uncomfortable at first when I see so many Chinese. For some reason, I don’t speak Chinese with them – I don’t know why but this has changed.

Q: On average, how long did it take before you felt others knew you were American?
A: When I started to ask a lot of questions like, 'What is this?' 'What kind of food is that?'

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are of your ethnic group? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?

A: 3. There are a lot of times I don’t feel I belong in the company where there are all Americans. In the summer time, I worked at the marketing firm and I am the only Chinese person there, I don’t feel comfortable at all especially when we were at the meeting. Now, my work place have a lot of Chinese people – I feel little comfortable and easier. I guess it's the language.

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are Asian? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?

A: Yes, 4

Q: Do you listen to music, watch movies, eat the food of your ethnic country or countries?

A: Yes, but I like Italian food and American more.

Q: Do you believe that one’s emotional needs are less important than fulfilling one’s responsibilities?
A: No, I think emotional need is very important to people, especially for teenagers. Without emotional support teens can get into a wrong path. Yeah.

No comments: