Saturday, May 10, 2008

23 yr. old Thai-Khmer-Chin-Vietnamese American male

Q: Were you born in the U.S.? If not, where were you born?
A: Thailand

Q: What different cities, states, and/or countries have you lived in?
A: Thailand, California ( San Jose, Stockton, Emeryville), Massachusetts (Boston)

Q: Which do you consider your hometown (‘the place you most consider home’):
A: Stockton, CA

Q: Involvements in clubs or organizations (ethnic or non-ethnic apply):
A: Art club, Environmental Science club, Key club, Spanish club, School Paper, Co/Lab Art Collective, The Basement Gallery,

Q: What gives purpose to your life?
A: Studying and making art, family.

Q: What relationships have been of major significance to you?
A: My friends and my significant others, family goes without saying.

Q: What is the racial and ethnic background of your closest friends? If they are of multiple ethnic backgrounds feel free to indicate their backgrounds.
A: I have a very diverse group of friends, race and ethnic background isn’t even a thought.

Q: When and how did you become aware of concepts of your race and/or ethnicity?
A: I am an immigrant. Growing up in very ethnically distinct neighborhoods. I wasn’t seriously aware until middle school.

Q: What language do your parents speak at home? What is their predominant language on an everyday basis?
A: Khmer

Q: What languages do you speak? What language do you speak most at home?
A: Khmer, English, Spanish, learning Japanese. Speak mostly English.

Q: Do you feel like their expectations of gender roles are ‘traditional’?
A: My parents no, my aunts and uncles who I grew up with, yes.

Q: Have they ever expressed career expectations for you? What were those expectations?
A: Yes, anything economically viable by my aunt and uncle’s standards.

Q: Have you ever dated outside of your ethnicity?
A: Yes
Q: If you answered yes, did your parents accept and respect your choice?
A: Yes

Q: What is your educational status?

A: BA in Fine Arts and Art History. In process of applying to graduate school.

Q: How do you define academic success?
A: To reach a point where you are enjoying what you are learning.

Q: How do you define success in general?
A: Being content with who you are as a person and passionate about what you are doing. I also define it through the people I have close to me.

Q: Throughout your time in school, how often did you encounter people who assumed you were smart because you were Asian?
A: All the time. Any time there is a math problem, which I support the stereotype and usually figure it out. I also make fun of it whenever I do any problem solving and get asked how I came up with the solution, I say: “It’s because I’m Asian”.

Q: Have you visited the country or countries of your ethnic origin/s?
A: No, only born there and have never re-visited.

Q: How knowledgeable are you about the history of the country or countries?
A: Very knowledgeable

Q: Please list at least 3 feelings you had while visiting.
A: I just remember being a happy kid from when I was living there.

Q: On average, how long did it take before you felt others knew you were American?
A: Would not take long if I went to visit.


Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are of your ethnic group? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: I don’t feel a sense of belonging, I get this feeling when I am around other artists though.


Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are Asian? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: Repeat question…

Q: Do you listen to music, watch movies, eat the food of your ethnic country or countries? How often do you do these things on a regular basis on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very often)?
A: Yes, 2.

Q: Do you believe that one’s emotional needs are less important than fulfilling one’s responsibilities?
A: No.

No comments: