Saturday, May 10, 2008

22 yr. old Viet-Japanese American female

Q: Were you born in the U.S.? If not, where were you born?
A: No, Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

Q: What different cities, states, and/or countries have you lived in?
A: Guelph, Canada; Madison, WI; San Jose, CA; Davis, CA; Woodland, CA; Emeryville, CA

Q: Which do you consider your hometown ('the place you most consider home')?
A: Davis, CA

Q: Involvements in clubs or organizations (ethnic or non-ethnic apply):
A: AYSO Soccer (Elementary school), Random Acts of Kindness Club (High School), Pixel Graphic Design Club (UC Davis), The Collective Laboratory (UC Davis)

Q: What gives purpose to your life?
A: Love gives purpose. That includes family, friends, my boyfriend, and my passions.

Q: What relationships have been of major significance to you?
A: My parents will always be the largest influence. And my first love. And a select few best girlfriends.

Q: What is the racial and ethnic background of your closest friends?
A: Black, Japanese, Korean

Q: When and how did you become aware of concepts of your race and/or ethnicity?
A: First time in elementary school when my best friend who was Black/Chinese took me to her Chinese school events and I didn't feel like I belonged. Then again in Junior High when my first boyfriend's mom said that he couldn't date outside of his race. Ouch.

Q: What language do your parents speak at home? What is their predominant language on an everyday basis?
A: English

Q: What languages do you speak? What language do you speak most at home?
A: English and Japanese. At home its English

Q: Do you feel like their expecations of gender roles are 'traditional'?
A: My mom's views are more independent and influenced by American values- both my parents expect more from me than the traditional female/good wife role. But my dad still thinks that being able to cook and obey are good traits for women.

Q: Have they ever expressed career expectations for you? What were those expectations?
A: My dad pressured Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical. My mom encouraged Journalism.

Q: Have you ever dated outside of your ethnicity?
A: Yes, half of the time.

Q: If you answered yes, did your parents accept and respect your choice?
A: My mom has no racial preference, my dad probably does. Either way, they didn't like me to be distracted by boys.
Q: What is your educational status?
A: Bachelor's Degree in Graphic Design.

Q: How do you define academic success?
A: Bachelor's Degree is good enough. If you want to pursue something more in specific, by all means go for it.

Q: How do you define success in general?
A: Living a passionate life, in any sense of the term.

Q: Throughout your time in school, how often did you encounter people who assumed you were smart because you were Asian?
A: All the time in elementary school through junior high- they'd copy off of my tests all the time, or ask me to do homework for them. I responded, "Just because I wear GLASSES doesn't make me smart!"

Q: Have you visited the country or countries of your ethnic origin/s?
A: Yes, Japan.

Q: How knowledgeable are you about the history of the country or countries?
A: Light history of Japan, but next to nothing.

Q: Please list at least 3 feelings you had while visiting?
A: Connection to my mom, nostalgia, excitement.

Q: On average, how long did it take before you felt others knew you were American?
A: A minute.

Q: If you were born in America, did anyone ever assume you weren't American because you are Asian?
A: In Japan? Sometimes- I don't really look Japanese so it's common for people to second guess.

Q: How were you treated?
A: Really well by family and friends, not always by strangers. Sometimes ignored for service.

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are of your ethnic group? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: 3.

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are Asian? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: 4.

Q: Do you listen to music, watch movies, eat the food of your ethnic country or countries? How often do you do these things on a regular basis on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very often)?
A: Just the food, 5.

Q: If you were born in America, did anyone ever assume you weren't American because you are Asian?
A: Not that I can recall, but I'm sure people think something along those lines when they see me. Sometimes I think people don't talk to me because they're not sure if I speak English.

Q: Do you believe that one's emotional needs are less important than fulfilling one's responsibilities?
A: Absolutely not.

No comments: