Monday, May 12, 2008

23 yr. old Chinese-Irish-Polish-Dutch American female

Q: Were you born in the U.S.?
A: Yes, I was born in Teneck, NJ

Q: What different cities, states, and/or countries have you lived in?
A: Teneck, New Jersey, Savannah, Georgia, Charleston, South Carolina, Danville, California, Oakland, California

Q: Which do you consider your hometown ('the place you most consider home'):
A: My home is with my family, I havent always had an affinity for the places that I have lived. I suppose the bay area because I appreciate the diversity.

Q: Involvements in clubs or organizations (ethnic or non-ethnic apply):
A: No.

Q: Parents' occupation:
A: Father: Sales, OOCL

Q: What is the racial and ethnic background of your closest friends? If they are of multiple ethnic backgrounds feel free to indicate their backgrounds.
A: I love everyone. I get along with anyone really, a lot of my close friends have been half Asian. Half-Guamanian, Eleanor, Half Japanese, Brittany. Chinese-Vanessa (you! love) I have dated a lot of Spanish men, probably because of the juxtaposition in cultures, particularly South American. I have friends who are Persian, African American and Caucasian. I think I relate to people of mixed cultures a lot not only because I am but because it interests me.

Q: When and how did you become aware of concepts of your race and/or ethnicity?
A: I became painfully aware of my race growing up in the South at a very young age. My earliest memory was when I was 5, and the teasing at school, name calling, jokes, diddies......... (Chinese Japanese dirty knees look at these) hahahaa. eh. yeah. Now as an adult, I am starting to understand the historical and political views of my race/ethnicity. I never really grew up anywhere with a strong Chinese community, nor did I grow up around my Chinese half of my family so it was definitely something that i learned about later on in life. I took a history of California class a couple years ago and that was quite educational. Defintely the media and people's personal opinions and views are the biggest forms of awareness, and unfortunately a lot of them are stigmas sometimes.

Q: What language do your parents speak at home? What is their predominant language on an everyday basis?
A: English

Q: What languages do you speak? What language do you speak most at home?
A: English, I can understand Spanish but not speak it confidently.

Q: Do you feel like their expectations of gender roles are 'traditional'?
A: Yes, at times. Perhaps my extended family moreso than my immediate family.

Q: Have they ever expressed career expectations for you? What were those expectations?
A: I think that my father (who is Chinese) has very high expectations for me, which can be stressful at times, as I am a very indecisive. Overall they want for me to be happy, successful and self sufficient. But happiness is not always monetary.

Q: Have you ever dated outside of your ethnicity?
A: Yes, I dated a South American boy for 5 years.

Q: If you answered yes, did your parents accept and respect your choice?
A: Yes.

Q: What is your educational status?
A: I have an AA and have taken a hiatus from school. However, I fully intend on finishing school and have a high regard for education, I am just a bit indecisive.

Q: How do you define academic success?
A: I think academic success is pretty much what you put into it. Studying something you truly love and appreciate and are ultimately going to help other people with.

Q: How do you define success in general?
A: experience, happiness, and creating something you truly love with integrity.

Q: Throughout your time in school, how often did you encounter people who assumed you were smart because you were Asian?
A: I heard a lot of people saying that but I never felt that those stigmas applied to me because i am horrible at math.

Q: Have you visited the country or countries of your ethnic origin/s?
A: Yes, I visited Hong Kong 2 summers ago but I would really like to visit China moreso.

Q: How knowledgeable are you about the history of the country or countries?
A: I am probably not as knowledgeable as I should be.

Q: Please list at least 3 feelings you had while visiting.
A: Disconnection because of not understanding the language. Excitement for being in a foreign country. An affinity for the people and the surroundings.

Q: On average, how long did it take before you felt others knew you were American?
A: I was recognized as American probably immediately.

Q: If you were born in America, did anyone ever assume you weren't American because you are Asian?
A: No, but since I grew up in the South a had multiple uneducated or racist people tell me that I was not American.
Q: How were you treated?
A: I was treated like an alien.

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are of your ethnic group? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: 3

Q: Do you feel a sense of belonging when you are in the company of people, a majority who are Asian? How strongly do you feel this on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very strongly)?
A: 3

Q: Do you listen to music, watch movies, eat the food of your ethnic country or countries? How often do you do these things on a regular basis on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not at all, 5 being very often)?
A: I enjoy Asian cinema and food. 4

Q: If you were born in America, did anyone ever assume you weren't American because you are Asian? (same question posed above, but this applies to experiences in America). Please give a brief description of this incident.
A: Yes, I have. When I was living in the South Carolina I had quite a few incidents. One I remember vividly though was when I was at a friend's house and her older sister's boyfriend called me a "chink". He also told me that I was not American. Him and I argued that night over what being an American was.

Q: Do you believe that one's emotional needs are less important than fulfilling one's responsibilities?
A: That is a tricky question, I believe that one's emotions are uncontrollable, and if one ignores or does not understand and tap into their emotions it will wind up catching up with them sooner or later.

No comments: